I heard this quote the other day and I had one of those "ah ha" moments!!
"No one has ever drowned in sweat." ~Lou Holtz
And I got to thinking about my life over the past few years. Yes I have gone through some tremendous things not by choice mind you, but it was the hand I was dealt. I could not change what had happened rather it be an illness, a death, divorce or the loss of my home. But the one thing I could do was change my attitude about how I dealt with it. Oh I won't even began to tell you I was not fearful because that would be the biggest lie I have ever told.
I know alot of you made comments about how courageous, strong and inspiring of a woman I am to you but I have to say I am no different than you. When I had things happen I had 2 choices...deal with it or hide my head in the sand. Oh trust me I wanted to hide my head, but I had 2 kids looking up to me that I had brought into this world and it is my job to protect, care and love them, so unfortunately hiding my head was not an option.
I did what I had to do, in my eyes there was no other choice.... plain and simple. You never will know what your capable of until you try! I know first hand because if you would have told me 3 years ago what I was going to be able to accomplish I would have told you that you were CRAZY!! That quote really hit home too because it really re-enforces to me that no matter what I come up against if I work hard I WILL persevere...."no one has ever drowned in sweat"...hard work will not kill you!
So with all that being said it got me to thinking about WW.....and I realized "being on a diet won't kill me"..."passing up those donuts won't kill me" and yada yada. I am STRONGER than that! I will OVER COME! Now I am not saying it's going to be easy and I won't stumble...but I won't drown! Isn't anything worth having worth the hard work??
I guess all I am saying is thank you for all the kind words...but I am not special by any means. I am just a mom trying to survive, doing the best that I can and hoping along the way my kids turn out ok! But I can tell you this...my heart has softened alot, my priorities have changed 360 degree's and I care what people think about me now.
I try to be a kinder, more understanding and loving person. Yes, I do random acts of kindness and the feelings you get from helping someone else is indescribable. I challenge you to do the same. For example...next time your in the drive thru line and your at the window...pay for the persons order behind you. Hug a stranger. Take a few minutes out of your day and have a conversation with an elderly person you meet. Slip a couple of dollars in an envelope of a coworker who is having a rough time financially and put it in her desk drawer anonymously.
That's just a few suggestions......they don't have to involve money at all. Maybe doing a chore for a neighbor, helping out a new mom who doesn't have family around and so forth. You will be amazed how it makes YOU feel! Want some great idea's then go to Google and do a search of "random acts of kindness" for ideas. I can't think of a better thing to teach my children unless of coarse.... "No one's ever drowned in sweat!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You are so right about the random acts of kindness. I try to do them for people...especially the elderly. Sometimes it makes their day to have someone help them get their groceries in the car. It's the little things in life, ya know?
Collette--I soo wish I could meet you in person. I really do. Maybe one day I can make down to your neck of the woods. :)
Oh and helping a new mom who doesn't have family...I'm one of those (or I was when DS was born). We had no one around and no one offered to make us dinner one night or anything like that. It would have meant the world to us. So NOW, when a friend of mine has a baby (or a neighbor or a co-worker) and I know they have 0 family to help, the first thing I do is offer to make them dinner for the first night they come home. I know I would have loved it (and will for any future kids). :)
I completely agree...too many times people get wrapped up in their own problems and forget everyone can use a little help in the world. Helping someone out without expecting anything in return is the best feeling.
You ARE special, each and every one of us is. Don't ever think you aren't. I read your story and am just amazed and what you go through and still, you keep it together! YOU are my inspiration, if that's ok! You keep pressing on inspite of the roadblocks that you stumble upon and that keeps me inspired!
I wanted to say thanks again for the Western Bagel Co. I am going to order some pita, bagels and maybe English Muffins next week! I can't wait to try them! Also, I'm sure you have already found this site, but it's awesome! Go to www.hungrygirl.com! It's awesome too!
Keep up the AWESOME work, together, we can get healty!
I loved what you wrote. Sometimes I feel like you're writing exactly how I feel. I've done those same random acts of kindness & it is a big thrill! Hmmm maybe I'll do it again today. I think things we face in life can either make you stronger or make you give up. I'm with you though-two kids dependent on me & I'll do everything I can to keep them happy & safe.
You really are an inspiration. Plus your blogs are motivating & funny. Glad you're here!
BB
Love the Lou Holtz quote, he is pretty big deal in MN, altthough he didn't stay long-
You are strong Collette! Many people would have and do give up when the going gets tough but you didn't. You gathered your strength and courage and faith and everything else and you survived and you succeeded! You you are stronger than you were before and you are helping others even when you don't know it. So YOU ARE SPECIAL!!!
Your post made me want to just reach out and hug you!
Post a Comment