Can too much of a good thing be bad??? I am asking this question and hoping someone will help me figure this out. For the past few days when I have gotten on the scale I have noticed I am up a pound or so! I have stayed OP and I walk religiously every night, so I got to thinking about why this was. Looking for clues I went back over my food diary and the only thing I could see was the fact that I am eating a lot of carbs being….. bread, cookies, cakes, crackers, bagels and rolls!
Well let me first say I have stayed on points and have NOT splurged, heck I don't even add in my AP points nor do I use my flexies! But looking back I have some days where I have had 4 servings of bread. Is that bad? I counted the points so is it still bad? A typical day might be a 1 pt bagel at breakfast, 2 bread sticks for lunch at 3pts each, a piece of cake for a 3pt dessert or some 100 calorie cookies snacks 2-3 pts! I have been trying to cut out what I call the “empty snacks” meaning those 100 calorie snack packs and little candy bars and etc because I know those should be used at treats and not an all day graze fest. So for the snacks I have tried to eat more fruit and veggies, but still I am consuming 3-4 breads a day!!
All I can figure is maybe I am eating too many carbs because I have heard lots of people say they were eating too many carbs, being potatoes, bread and white rice and once they stopped eating them they lost weight. Well for now I have decided to cut back on my bread, rice and potatoes servings to 1-2 a day and incorporate more veggies and fruit instead. I am interested in how you ladies have been handing this and what your take is on the “how many breads” you should eat! I guess I figured if I didn’t go over in points it was ok.
After all isn’t the WW points system all about freedom of choice? I am eating the high fiber bread, low fat angel food cake and multi grain crackers…but still my question is…”Is too much of a good thing” bad??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
I am going to be completely honest here. I don't eat bread. I rarely buy it b/c we don't eat it fast enough. Now, when we go out and there is a bread basket, I will have some, but I try my hardest to refrain myself. I had an english muffin today (well this week b/c I had them) but I really try NOT to eat too many breads and carby things. I have a friend who had GREAT success losing weight by eating all of her carbs by noon, then no more starchy carbs the rest of the day. A lot of research I have read says to eat all of your carbs early in the day--by lunchtime or at least be done with them after lunch. So there you have it. I think too much of a good thing can be bad. Yes, you are OP, but how does your body react to it?? Your scale shows it's not liking it. ;) There's my $.02.
Interesting Amanda...Thanks for your $.02 :)
I'm not in WW so I dont' know this. But if you ate all your points in beer and chocolate bars (I imagine it's not really that hard to do!) would you lose weight? Are the points so directly related to calories (and if so, why are they called points and not calories?) that you're guaranteed to lose? But even if you do lose on something like that, you might be losing muscle and stuff and keeping your fat. Know the people who are skinny but still have that beer belly? I think what your points go toward must count.
I agree, I think a lot of carbs leaving me feel bloated, and more hungry later. They say to eat whole wheat/whole grain breads if you have any. I may try the no carbs after noon thing. Very good question Colette!
Are you eating all required F&V? and dairy? Water? In discussing my program w/ a friend, we decided that I should only eat 4 of my 30 daily points in 'treats' I am all about chocolate! Looking back somedays I easily ate 1/3 of my points in treats/chocolate. I know that cant' be good.
To me it doesn't 'sound' like your eating too much bread...maybe try what pp said, about eating most of your bread carbs before 1pm....try switching something up and see what gives...
Good luck! let us know how you make out.
Thanks for all the input ladies. This is why I love yall! I know I can any question and ya'll don't go "pfffftt..she is such a RETARD!" LOL.
I am definately going to cut my breads, crackers, cookies (aww I love my cookies) and etc out and allow myself one serving a day for a week or two and see how this OLD BROKEN DOWN body responds!! hahaha
I love my carbs also, but i added more AP to my daily routine to balance it out. Maybe adding a 1/2 mile or mile, or doing something in addition to the daily walking. Maybe Your "body" just needs a little shake up.
I had a similar question at my first meeting, because one of my fellow newbies was saying how much he liked beer and wondered if he could use all of his flex points for beer. I think he was kind of joking, but I thought well, I can eat chocolate all day and still be in my point range. I agree with tallmama, if you're making sure that you get all the fruits and veggies and water etc., everything else fills in the gaps instead of being the main focus.
I love your blog by the way, because it gives me a much needed laugh when I'd totally rather have a brownie.
I hear ya when it comes to not having the weight loss you are expecting. It does get frustrating. Grrrrrr But, I do have to agree with the girls eating to many carbs and not getting in all your fruits and veggies could be the problem. WW's is all about choices and being able to eat lots of different things but I think eating "healthier" foods will help with weight loss. I hope your day is going well. :)
I KNOW, I KNOW!!! (Hand in air)
We discussed this at meeting. If you never eat your APs or weeklies, and your body has stopped losing, what should you do? (This asked by leader followed by dumb looks by group - a few shrugs of the shoulder). She said to...EAT the APs. WHAT? YES, You read right. She said to EAT the APs.
It doesn't sound to me like you're eating too many carbs. I tried to cut back on carbs last week and ramp up my protein - now I am getting dizzy and stuff. I had forgotten about all of the protein in my soy drink, bananas, etc. I have gotten over my fear of nut points, though, which will allow me to enjoy a more rounded selection.
Cheers
Candace~ I hear ya girl but I must confess something....I am AFRAID to eat the AP points! There I said it!! hehe
OK next question...its 1 AP for each 20 minutes of steady/ fast exercising correct? If so I am banking 3 AP points a day for a total of 21 a week!!! errrrr...To eat or not to eat...THAT IS THE QUESTION! Thoughts anyone?????
Hi Colette,
Thanks for stopping by my blog this afternoon. I guess I don't really need to tell you how I've stopped eating the bread and junk "just because I have the points" since I wrote about it today. :) I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I do think too much bread (even if you count the points) is a bad thing. Too much of any 1 certain thing isn't good. Losing weight is about not only getting skinny, but making better choices. :) YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I have noticed when I eat less bread I am not as hungry and I do tend to lose more weight. Try reducing it for a week and see what happens. Everyone is different ;)
I vote EAT!!! I eat every single point I am entitled to!!
This is in relation to your email to me today - I loved the movie Norbit and I swear on my life that I resembled Norbit's wife - I have got stretch marks that you could roll quarters in to prove it! By the way - the love affair with food has always been there - I absolutely adore cooking and baking and always have - in fact I went to the grocery store again tonight and I'm ashamed to admit it but I caved and bought the gerber baby puffs - WTF is wrong with me.....I am adicted to baby food??? Hang in there - oh yeah, I got another roll that showed up yesterday - you know fat/skin roll.....I'm claiming it is skin.....if i ever become a burn victim I've got my shit covered with excess!! I'm plotting how to cover this one up.......wondering if I could hoist it up there close to "the girls" and maybe add some cleavage???
haha @ Cleavage!! Girl I got NONE!! But I am definately going to BUY me some BIG BOOBIES after I lose weight!! Thats my reward for getting to my goal of 150 lbs!! yeahhh..I'm gonna have HOOTERS...I'm gonna have HOOTERS...I'm gonna....LMAO
Girl, I got hooters but they sag to my knees anytime you want some just holler I will gladly give it away. LOL Hope your weekend is a good one. :)
haha @ Weightbgone!! Yeah that damn BOOB Fairy flew right over my house! ;-(
Haha...I was planning to comment on your blog but now that we are talking about hooters, I always said if I got to goal I would get some big hooters and a tattoo...love it!
I was going to leave a bread comment, but now all I can think about is mmalloy all boobied and tatted up! lol
Post a Comment